Printfriendly

Garden Fresh Casserole!

 
 
I never get tired of fresh summer vegetables from the garden or from the farmer's in our area.  We have several really good farmer's markets in our city that set up about three days a week and we also have a farmers that sell their produce right at their farms. There is a considerable population of Mennonites in the counties around us and they sell some of the best produce you can find at a very reasonable price.  The corn in this casserole is Silver Queen corn from one of their farms and it is the best corn you will ever put in your mouth.  
 
Corn is one of the few vegetables my husband will actually eat (weird I know), so I have cooked corn almost every meal for over 30 years...corn on the cob, corn casserole, corn pudding, fried corn...you get the picture!   Needless to say, I was burnt out on corn about two decades ago.  However, this Silver Queen corn, is something I wait for every year, because it's a corn even I can love again!   If you have never tried it and can find some in your area, get some and try it, you won't be disappointed. 
 
This is a casserole, my mother came up with and it really did come mostly right from the garden.  It's simple, fresh tasting and just delicious.   I could actually make this a meatless main dish meal.  Here is what you will need:
 
4 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup sweet onion, chopped
3 cups zucchini, diced
3 cups fresh cut corn, 6-7 ears (could substitute a 10 oz. bag of frozen niblets)
1 large fresh tomato, diced
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1 cup buttered bread crumbs
 
 
Saute onion and zucchini in the butter in a skillet over medium heat until tender.   Mix in corn, chopped tomato, parsley, salt, and pepper.
 
Pour into a greased casserole dish and sprinkle the top with buttered bread crumbs. 
 
 Place in a 350 degree oven for 35 -40 minutes or until the bread crumbs are browned.  Serve hot from the oven!
 


1 comment:

  1. I made this casserole with my favorite summer veggies - fresh corn, zucchini and squash - and it was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest