Printfriendly

Strawberry Dumplings!


  
These strawberry dumplings are an old, old recipe that my grandmother and aunt made when my mother was just a little girl.  My grandparents were farmers raising 11 children and times were hard for a lot of folks back then, but they always had plenty of butter and cream and they grew strawberries, so this was a special treat that was fairly easy for them to have.

This would definitely be a recipe Julia Child would approve of since it uses her two favorite ingredients.  There are no substitutions for the butter and cream either.  You can  make these with other fruit...blackberries, peaches, blueberries, even apple slices would be good.  This is what you will need for these: 


2  1/2 cups biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
3/4 cup cold water
4 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
8 Tbs. butter, divided
1  1/2 cups sugar, divided
2 cups heavy cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.




                Mix the biscuit mix and water and roll into a ball. Place on a floured surface.

Divide the ball into 8 equal pieces.



Roll each piece into a circle.  Place 1/ 2 cup strawberries, 1 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. sugar on top of the berries.



Wet the dough around the edges just a little and pinch each 'dumpling' up into a  little purse.  Place seam side up in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. 



Pour the 2 cups of cream over  and around the dumplings.  Sprinkle each with 1 more tablespoon of sugar.  Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour uncovered.  Half way through the baking time, remove from the oven and dip some of the cream up and pour back over the tops of each dumpling.  This keeps them from drying out and makes the tops nice and brown.



Remove from oven and serve with ice cream, whipped cream or just like this!  These are just delicious! 



Strawberry Dumplings!


25 comments:

  1. Never seen this before, but oh my, it looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do such a wonderful job explaining your dishes and love the pictures! They really help. Keep up the good work. I look forward to recipes! ...Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good and easy enough for me to make.
    Will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta try this one, never seen it, but I love the looks of it........thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember my Mother making this during Strawberry season! She called them Strawberry Dumplins. Oh sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be the best recipe I have seen in a long while...looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just bought a flat of beautiful strawberries yesterday! I will be making this today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great new idea. I've never seen this before, but love strawberries and will give it a try!

    Leslie Gagne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it would work with apples or pears too! Looks Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice..keep them recipes coming...LOVE'EM

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember my Mother making Strawberry Dumplings when Strawberries where ripe for the picking. Ohh So good!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Like so many other followers, I have never heard of Strawberry Dumplings. I will definitely have to try, glucose high or not.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wonder if you could use refrigerated crescent roll dough for this?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can u use frozen fruit, thawed out, or is that 2 much moisture?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I happened to stumble across your site on FB (I think it was divine intervention that led me to it lol) and have been in love with it ever since. All the recipes that you post are absolutely wonderful. I made these yesterday from your recipe and fell in love! I even shared....I took some to my grandmothers (she adores strawberries) and she ate over half of it before she told me she loved it lol. I will be making these again along with more of your scrumptious recipes! Thank you so very much for doing this blog and sharing all of this!
    *Brandi*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Brandi. I appreciate your sweet comments. I am so glad you shared with your grandmother and she enjoyed it so much.

      Delete
  16. Kathy, have you tried this with other fruit? Peaches, apples or blueberries? (I can't eat strawberries, sadly...) :(

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also use blackberries and peaches, but I think any fruit would be great. Remember to adjust the sugar for less sweet fruit. We use an extra tablespoon for each dumpling for the blackberry ones for example.

      Delete
  17. I was looking for a good strawberry recipe yesterday. This looks yummy. I'm going to try it tonight. Time to make a run to the grocery store for some heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blueberries are coming in here in N.W. Fl. I know this would be super good. Blackberries are here too! Thanks for all of your great ideas. You make them all look easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well Darn it all..... That is just too tempting. I am going to have to make these.... And of course, I'll have to eat them.... Double up on the insulin.... AGAIN. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Could we use frozen strawberries? Got some in the freezer now!. B-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I got mine in the oven right now. Using strawberries from my Garden. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have made these several times..my man says they are the best..thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for all your wonderful recipes and also for the inspirational posts. I have enjoyed everything I have tried from your recipes. I'm so glad I found your site.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest