Printfriendly

2 - Ingredient Pineapple Cake with a Warm Pineapple Sauce!





This is another one of those two ingredient recipes that I am fairly sure originated in a cookbook put out by they American Heart Association for their 'heart healthy diet plan'.   My late father-in-law had a heart attack in his early forties and he and my mother-in-law really tried to follow that diet fairly religiously.  All of their changes in diet and exercise must have worked, because he never had any further heart problems that I was aware of.   It seems that I remember my late mother-in-law making this little fat free cake from that book.  At the time, I thought it sounded very strange.   However, it's a good cake to be so easy and fat free, although I did dress it up a bit with a pineapple sauce. You know I couldn't just leave a fat free cake alone.  You can serve it plain if you don't want the additional calories, but the sauce does make it taste sort of like a lower calorie version of a pineapple upside down cake...not quite the same, but a good knock off version...lol.  

This is another recipe that is so easy the kids can help make it.  Here is what you need:

1 Angel Food cake mix
1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple with the juice

Pineapple Sauce

3 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 (20 oz.) can of crushed pineapple with the juice
pinch of salt
1/4 cup water
1 Tbs. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix the angel food cake mix with the crushed pineapple in a mixing bowl with a large spoon.  Mix just until well blended.  DO NOT use an electric mixer.  That will beat too much air into this. 

 Pour the batter into a 9"x13" baking pan that has been sprayed well with nonstick spray.   Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.   Mine was done in 25 minutes. 


Remove from oven and cool.  Before cutting in squares, run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan. 
To make the pineapple sauce, melt the butter in a deep sauce pan on medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until it has dissolved and slightly caramelized.  Add the pineapple and salt.  Mix the cornstarch with the 1/4 cup cold water until smooth.  Stir into the pineapple sauce and bring up to a boil for a couple of minutes.  Don't let it boil over and stir frequently.  Remove from heat and stir the vanilla in.  Serve while warm over cake slices.   This also makes  a great topping for vanilla ice cream.










21 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, I have made the angel food n pineapple before, which is very good. But this pineapple kicks it up a bit !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always pureed fresh berries and sugar for toppings on any cake. I've never been brave enough to experiment with other fruits, but I think I may give this one a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks wonderful can"t wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the ingredients ready to go. Love the sauce idea.
    I had planned to mix coconut with walnuts in cool whip for the topping ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made it tonight and made the topping.
    Love the pineapple topping on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need some help. I bought the Aldi angel food cake mix for the first time and there are two packets in it: angel food cake flour mixture and egg white mixture. Should I omit the egg white mixture since the other brand calls for egg whites when making the angel food cake and your recipe does not call for egg whites? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No make it just like the directions

    ReplyDelete
  8. Made it loved it,and so easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made this cake, turned out great, everyone loves it and instead of a sweet topping just had cool whip on hand and it was delicious together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. made it and made a whipped cream topping with coconut and pineapple and walnuts was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Who would have thought this would work? Sounds great. Will try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. THIS IS SOMETHING I DEFINATELY WILL TRY - THE ONLY THING I WOULD DO DIFFERENT IS THE TOPPING - I WOULD USE FF/SF PUDDING (USING ONLY 1/2 LIQUID THAT IT CALLS FOR) - WITH SMALL TUB OF FF COOL WHIP AND A SMALL CAN CRUSHED PINEAPPLE DRAINED - MIX TOGETHER AND YOU HAVE A TASTY TOPPING FOR CAKE...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the other topping suggestion. I needed something that did not call for more sugar and this fits the bill. Will try real soon and then post another reply. Cake is also something we can eat. Thanks everyone...

      Delete
  13. 1 can of pineapple...how do u add it to the cake AND the sauce??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake and sauce ingredients are listed separately above. You need a can for each.

      Delete
  14. Am I going to need two cans of pineapple

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are making the sauce, you need a can for each

      Delete
  15. I have made this twice and there are never any pieces left..almost everyone goes back for more!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My angel food cake mix calls for 1 1/4 cups water. Do I use that AND the pineapple? Or pineapple only?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I first made this cake with peaches. I pureed the peaches in my food processer. The cake was great. My husband loved.

    I am going to attempt mandarin oranges next. I will post my results.

    Happy baking.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest