Printfriendly

Spinach Dip in a Bread Bowl!



This is a cold spinach dip that is served in a bread bowl with chunks of the bread for dipping.   The King's Hawaiian Bread is the best for this.  While I love a good hot spinach and artichoke dip also, I really think I like this cold spinach dip the best.  It can even be made up a day or even two ahead and then you just have to assemble your bread bowl the day of your party.  

  Here is what you will need:

1  10 oz. package of frozen chopped spinach, cooked, cooled and squeezed until all liquid is removed
1  16 oz container sour cream
1 cup mayonnaise
1 pkg. vegetable soup mix (Knorr brand is best)
1  8 oz. can water chestnuts, chopped
3-4 chopped green onions, including some of the green blades
1 round top loaf of King's Hawaiian Bread  ( I usually use two to have more bread for dipping)






Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl until well blended.   TIP:  Use paper towels to press all of the liquid out of the spinach.  If you leave water in it, your dip will be too watery and will not hold up well.





Chill for at least 2 hours.  It's best if it chills overnight to blend flavors.



When you are ready to serve, place the bread on a platter big enough to also place the cubed bread around the edges.  With a serrated knife carve out a bowl in the center leaving a good shell to hold the dip.  Cube the bread in big chunks that you remove. I usually use two loaves and use one just for the bread cubes, because what you remove from the center is never enough.








9 comments:

  1. This is also good with salad shrimp added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing! I was just looking for a spinach dip recipe and lo and belong, there it is right in my Facebook news feed! Thank you so very much! I love your blog!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make this all the time. The first two times I made this, I over looked the part about cooking the spinach. it is great without cooking the spinach! now, i am afraid I won't like the spinach if I cook it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite dip. If you squeeze the spinach in a kitchen towel, you can really get the liquid out. The spinach liquid will wash out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. M'mmmm, sounds good! Can't wait to try it. I don't know if I've seen that King's Hawaiian bread. Do u have a recipe for Creamed Spinach? I get it every time I visit Boston Market. Just can't figure out what allay in it. It doesn't seem like it's a lot to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found this recipe at a wedding years ago and make it several times a yr. People always ask how do you make it. Imagine my surprise when after eons I realized it is on every packet of the foil packet of soup mix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. have used this recipe for years and have never cooked the spinach. just defrosted it really well and squeezed out all the juice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been making this dip for years and I just thaw the spinach and squeeze out all the water....also, after I hollow out the bread, I put it in the oven for a few minutes....this will help it to hold up while the dip is in it.

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest