Printfriendly

Chili Cheese Frito Corn Salad!


This salad might sound a little strange as far as the combination of ingredients, but it is actually delicious.  My mother first ate this salad at a church potluck dinner.

 She didn't think to ask the person who brought it for the recipe, but when you look up Frito Corn salad, several recipes come up.  I think the best of them is the one Paula Deen has on the Foodtv.com site, so I used it with a few modifications.

 I saw this again on Pinterest lately and I remembered that I had just bought a bag of Chili Cheese Frito's and I had to make some.  It's so easy to make and it's different than other corn salad recipes.  Here is what you will need:

                                                                                   
Corn, cheddar cheese, green pepper, Vidalia onion, Chili Cheese Frito's, mayonnaise, and a jalapeno pepper.





Chop the green pepper and Vidalia onion and seed and chop the jalapeno pepper.  Wear gloves when handling fresh jalapeno peppers.  The jalapeno is optional, I added it to the original recipe.  Add this to the corn along with the cheddar cheese.  I used a bag of frozen corn instead of the two cans of canned whole kernel can the recipe called for, because I prefer the frozen corn and in a salad it's more crisp and crunchy.

Add the mayonnaise and combine all together. Slightly crush the bag of Chili Cheese Frito's and mix all but 2 cups in with the salad ingredients right before time to serve.


I take the other two cups of Frito's and sprinkle them over the top.  It gives the salad a nice presentation.


I served the salad in a tomato. fresh from the garden. cut in wedges to form a tomato cup.  The combination of fresh tomato, corn and the salty spice of the Frito's was wonderful!

Ingredients:
1  12oz. bag frozen corn (may use 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained)
1 cup chopped Vidalia onion, or any sweet onion
1 cup chopped green or red pepper
1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed, chopped (optional)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup mayonnaise
1  10 1/2 oz. bag Chili Cheese Frito's








22 comments:

  1. This is great! The first time I had it was in 1994. My in-law's, who are vegetarians, brought this salad (had plain fritos in it) to our family during one of those times when you bring a dish to someone's home. Anyway, when I saw it - I basically rolled my eyes at some other strange food they were pushing. But, to my surprise - it was fantastic!! I'm so glad you posted it. I'm going to pin it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just thinking this morning that this would probably appeal to vegetarians. I thought it was really good and could eat this instead of meat with some other good vegetables and I am definitely a meat eater usually. Glad you saw it!

      Delete
    2. Leave out the onions, needs chilie powder added...


      Delete
  2. It looks pretty on the tomatoes, but couldn't you add tomatoes to the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you let the corn thaw before making the salad? Didn't know if it was frozen it would make it watery as it thawed. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also wondering about the corn...surely it's thawed first, and perhaps dried a little? Thanks in advance for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You thaw the corn if you use the frozen. No need to cook it really. Frozen corn has already been cooked in the processing of it to some extent. It doesn't make the salad soggy or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have done this but used catalina salad dressing rather than mayo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wondering if miracle whip could be used instead of real mayo

    ReplyDelete
  8. My wife is going to make this with grilled corn, bell pepper, celery and everything else minus the jalepenos (she cant eat those). She says this is the kind of recipe you can play with.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe sounds really good, however, it is just my husband and I, so I was wondering how long will this salad last. I have made the salad with the corn chips, catalina dressing, ranch style beans and tomatoes and the corn chips get soggy after refrigerated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had this before and it is delicious !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you could add the corn chips when ready to eat - just mix it then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would think you can mix everything but the fritos and store in the fridge, then just add the fritos when you want to eat it...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Add more hot spices to it, tastes better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is delish just as it is. Thank you for posting this!
    I make a Mexican Salad with the Catalina Dressing but this corn salad is perfect as is.
    \

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds really really good! I will make it and just add the fritos to each serving as I am ready to eat it that way I can keep in the fridge for two or three days

    ReplyDelete
  16. I follow you on pinterest but was wondering why you don't add a pin on your recipes so I can pin to my board without having to go to all those extra steps to pin it

    ReplyDelete
  17. I follow you on pinterest but was wondering why you don't offer the pin on your recipes so I can pin it to my board from the recipe instead of all the extra steps I have to take to get it there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you look above each post there is a red button that says, "pin it". Click on that and pin away! :)

      Delete
    2. This is delicious as is. I make another salad with the Catalina dressing so if you leave this as is, you have two different salads to bring to pot lucks. This was delish and thank you for the recipe.

      Delete
  18. I have made it for just me and didn't put in the frito's just per serving and kept the rest in fridge love it

    ReplyDelete

FOLLOW ME HERE ON FACEBOOK FOR DAILY POSTS:

Follow Me on Pinterest